Letter: City kept residents in the dark amid SWAT standoff
EDITOR’S NOTE: Local police agencies responded to the 11700 block of Hartford Way at about 2:48 p.m. March 20 to check on a reportedly disoriented woman. SWAT responded after the woman barricaded herself in a house with a gun. The standoff ended at about 6:45 p.m. when the woman surrendered.
The city of Mukilteo missed an opportunity on March 20 to notify its citizens about the SWAT incident in Harbour Pointe Village.
Instead of telling us what was going on via Twitter, Facebook or other social media avenues, we were told we could not enter our neighborhood, but given no reason why.
I arrived home around 4 p.m. to be told by a Mill Creek police officer at the entrance to my street that I could not drive or walk the 30 feet from the intersection to my garage. I was just told to go away and nothing else.
There was nothing on the web, Facebook or the media as to what was going on. Mayor Jennifer Gregerson, in a response to my email the next day, said the city made an error by not using social media, but would do so in the future.
If we had been treated respectively and given basic information, then we could have made choices on what to do next. But, as it was, we were not given any information, so it was hard to know the seriousness of the incident.
And, considering SWAT team members and police officers were viewed chatting in the open, it was hard to understand why people who were trapped were not allowed to be escorted home.
Unfortunately, this type of situation will happen again, and the citizens deserve information. The city had the means to do so, just didn’t.