Perhaps Joe and Jen will team up | Letter

Dec 11, 2013

Editor, The Beacon:

I was humored by the “Appoint Terry Preshaw to vacant council seat” open letter to the Mukilteo City Council by Kate and Bob Forrester in the Dec. 4 Beacon [page 4].

In it they state, "The people of Mukilteo clearly want to see this highly educated, community-minded woman with a strong background in the law sit on our City Council."

This, despite previously citing Preshaw is a two-time loser running for City Council. Hardly an endorsement by the voters. It reminds me of that old truism – 99 percent of the lawyers give the other 1 percent a bad name.

Then they state their objection to a “rumor” Joe Marine might apply for council appointment after being "soundly defeated" in November election by significant margin.

Checking official Snohomish County Election results – Joe Marine in his loss collected more votes than Preshaw or any other defeated council candidate.

We in Mukilteo were blessed with the opportunity to choose between two highly qualified candidates for mayor.

Joe Marine has served Mukilteo exemplarily for eight years, and Jennifer Gregerson has served on the City Council for 10 years and is eminently qualified.

Either was an obvious positive outcome. Congratulations to Jennifer.

It is imperative Mukilteo maintain its visibility in the state and region on many public boards and associations to have influence on planning, transportation, funding and other issues.

With Gregerson running on the campaign of eliminating the city administrator position and assuming many of those duties with her urban planning background, her plate will be full.

If Joe and Jennifer are willing to work together for the betterment of Mukilteo, Joe could assist with continuity of the promotion and representation needed. He would require no training.  It would be a bonus for Mukilteo.

The Dec. 4 Beacon also quoted Jennifer Gregerson as saying of Joe, "He served the city well for eight years, and I'm grateful we both kept up our good relationship we've had over the years and through the campaign."

If this isn't political speak, and she is willing the walk the talk, she would galvanize respect and support.

Tom Howerton,

Former City Councilmember

Comments (1)
Posted by: Terry Preshaw | Dec 12, 2013 10:43

LAWYER HATE SPEECH IS OFFENSIVE

"...It reminds me of that old truism – 99 percent of the lawyers give the other 1 percent a bad name..."

Folks, I am astonished that TOM HOWERTON is seeking to support Joe Marine by using LAWYER HATE SPEECH.

It is well known that I am a lawyer. A "truism" is defined as a "self evident truth".  Asserting that 99% of lawyers give the other 1 percent a bad name is not a "a self evident truth" - it is a slanderous lie deliberately stated in order to impugn and denigrate lawyers in general and me in particular.

The technique used by TOM HOWERTON to discredit me and impugn my reputation is known as "slander by innuendo".

I am proud of being a lawyer - I worked hard to put myself through law school at a time when few women practiced law. I worked hard to become licensed in TWO countries (U.S. and Canada) and established one of the first international business immigration law firms.

I am proudest of my pro bono work - helping those who would otherwise be lost within our byzantine and arcane immigration system.

I have known Joe Marine for many years and want folks to know that there is no way he would approve the LAWYER HATE SPEECH written by TOM HOWERTON. My guess is that he is as appalled as I am. TOM HOWERTON owes both of us a public apology for his shameful behavior.



If you wish to comment, please login.