During its meeting on March 25, the Mukilteo School Board did the following:
• Approved the school district’s goals for the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 school years. The goals are a part of the school district’s long-range planning process. The goals for the next three years can be found at www.mukilteo.wednet.edu/board/BrdPacket/2012_13/13_03_25Packet/DistGoals2013.htm.
• Passed a resolution that requests that the State Board of Education grant the school district a waiver of two non-student days in each of the next three school years. The days would be used for staff training focused on the new Common Core State Standards and the instructional framework that is part of a new teacher evaluation system.
• Passed a resolution authorizing financial support in joining with community groups and other school districts in the Network for Excellence in Washington Schools, which helps with enforcing the Washington State Supreme Court’s rulings in the case known as McCleary v. the State of Washington.
• Approved a minor change to Board Policy 4520 (Cooperative Programs with Other Districts and Public Agencies) and the deletion of Board Policy 4510 (Independent Schools).
• Heard staff reports about and discussed the following: implementing the Common Core State Standards, a six-year certified building condition assessment of school district buildings, and new instructional materials for 4th grade reading and writing and for secondary social studies, world history, U.S. history, economics, civics/government and civics/law, Washington state studies, contemporary world issues, comparative history of ideas, AP European History, AP Human Geography and AP American Government classes.
• During a board dialogue session held at Challenger Elementary before the regular business meeting, school board members heard a presentation about what they believe in as a school, efforts to significantly improve student achievement and prepare students socially and academically for the future, the work of the school’s Instructional Leadership Team, the use of the plan-do-study-act cycle to improve behavior, and the school’s work to implement the Leader In Me program and help students understand that they are a product of their own choices.
Additional details about agenda items can be found in the board packet information available at http://www.mukilteo.wednet.edu/board/BrdPacket/2012_13/13_03_25Packet/AGENDA130325.html.