Small explosion sends 3 to hospital

A can of Pam reportedly fell into a deep fryer at Mukilteo's Speedway Cafe
By Nicholas Johnson | May 17, 2017

Three people were taken to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle on Sunday, May 14, following a small explosion in the kitchen of Mukilteo's Speedway Café.

An aerosol can of Pam cooking spray reportedly fell into a deep fryer, causing the explosion. Two people reported severe burns, while a third reported hearing issues.

The Mukilteo Fire Department was dispatched at 11:22 a.m. and arrived at the café soon after, Assistant Chief Brian McMahan said.

The restaurant, located at 11707 Mukilteo Speedway, was closed Monday, May 15, due to the incident. It re-opened Tuesday, May 16.

Joya Evans of Mukilteo was waiting in line for a table with her fiancé when she and others in the restaurant heard “a loud crash bang.

“Everyone looked at each other,” she said. “A couple seconds later we heard a man yelling, and it sounded like he was screaming in pain.

“I remember someone calling 911. Then the whole place started panicking. The look on the waitresses’ faces was shock and despair. It was chaos.”

Elaine Fischer of the state Department of Labor & Industries said an inspector is looking into the incident.

“In January, we issued a hazard alert aimed at restaurants and commercial kitchens to warn about storing aerosol spray cans too close to a cooking area,” she said. “They can get overheated and explode, even if they are just sitting on a shelf in close proximity.”

That hazard alert included three examples of incidents, she said.

“Now it seems we might need to update it and add a fourth.

“We recommend safe storage spaces be designated, such as a countertop away from heat sources, and that they only be used a safe distance away from heat and sources of ignition.”

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.