Veterans remember man who died in fishing boat incident

Jun 18, 2014
Courtesy of: Ted DiPietro War veterans John McKee (seated) and Cecil Chapman remember the late Cody Cecil on June 11 at the corner of the Mukilteo Speedway and Chennault Beach Road. A fellow veteran, Cecil was the son of Joe and Pam Weller of Weller’s Cafe in Mukilteo, who died following a refrigeration leak aboard a fishing boat in Alaska.

An Everett man has died following a refrigeration leak aboard a fishing boat in Alaska.

Cody Cecil, 30, the son of Joe and Pam Weller of Weller’s Cafe in Mukilteo, was working aboard the Alpine Cove on June 4 in St. Herman's Harbor when he was exposed to Freon, a gas used as a refrigerant, according to the Kodiak Police Department.

Kokiak police and emergency crews responded to a report of the refrigeration leak around 6 a.m. Alaska Time. Five crew members were rescued from the boat.

Cecil and Francis Rutten 56, of Snohomish, were transported to Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center, where Cecil was pronounced dead. Rutten is receiving treatment for exposure to Freon.

War veterans John McKee and Cecil Chapman on June 11 remembered Cecil by holding a sign and waving flags on the corner of the Mukilteo Speedway and Chennault Beach Road. Cecil had served in Iraq.

“We have a group that goes out there every Wednesday to support the troops,” said McKee, who served in Vietnam. “We eat breakfast every Wednesday at the Weller’s Cafe.

“We’ve talked to him before, but we know his mother and stepfather much better. They’re good people. Cody was a Marine, and we support each other.”

Joe Weller, his stepfather, and Pam Weller, his mother, could not be reached before deadline.

The refrigeration leak is under investigation by the Kodiak Police Department and Marine Safety Detachment of the U.S. Coast Guard.

According to police, repair work had been done on the F/V Alpine Cove the day before. It is unknown if the repairs are related to the Freon leak.

-Sara Bruestle

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.