Jobs & Internships
There are no job openings at this time.
Mukilteo Beacon internships provide college students and recent college graduates the opportunity to be a reporter for a weekly newspaper.
Internships are available with the Mukilteo Beacon throughout the year. Most internships last 6-12 weeks (10 hours a week), but they can be longer. A mentor guides the student throughout the duration of the internship. The intern is paid per story. Academic credit is also available.
At the end of the internship, the student will have experience in:
• Writing assigned and enterprise stories
• Writing journalistically using the inverted (upside-down) pyramid structure
• Conducting interviews
• Editing for structure, accuracy, holes, libel, issues of taste, grammar, language, precision, style and spelling
• Writing headlines and cutlines
• Identifying what makes a photograph good for a newspaper
As an intern, a student is expected to:
• Commit to a minimum six-week (10 hours a week) internship
• Meet with his/her mentor once a week
• Write 1-2 stories (of 500-600 words each) a week
• Meet deadlines for stories
• Interview a minimum of two sources for each story
• Suggest headlines and cutlines
Students qualify for an internship with the Mukilteo Beacon if they meet the following application requirements:
• Enrolled at a 2-year or 4-year college or a recent college graduate
• Previous experience writing for a school newspaper and/or in journalism classes
• A letter of recommendation from a journalism or English teacher
• Own or have access to a camera and car a plus, but not required
Email an application, letter of recommendation and three writing samples (clips) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Qualified applicants will also complete a phone interview with the editor of the newspaper.
The Mukilteo Beacon recommends that students receive academic credit for their internship. If seeking academic credit, interns are responsible for obtaining and meeting their specific program requirements. The Mukilteo Beacon will provide necessary documentation for credit upon request.
Get an application: Pick up one at the Beacon office at 806 5th Street in Mukilteo or request one through email at email@example.com.