Steam from school bus burns 4

By Sara Bruestle | Jun 18, 2012

Four third graders suffered minor leg burns after a school bus radiator malfunctioned Monday afternoon, spraying steam into the bus.

The third graders were on their way back to Fairmount Elementary from a field trip at Lighthouse Park around 1:30 p.m. when the radiator quit working, said Mukilteo School District spokesperson Andy Muntz. Teachers and parents were also on the bus.

The bus has the engine in the rear, but the radiator is located beneath one of the rear seats. When it malfunctioned, it started to spew steam though the floor of the bus. The burned students had been sitting in the back.

Muntz said the four were taken to a hospital for treatment. No serious injuries were reported.

“A bunch of steam was coming out from the back of the bus,” Muntz said. “The kids started yelling about it, and the bus driver learned about it very quickly.”

The bus driver pulled over near the 7800 block of the Mukilteo Speedway and called 911.

Another bus took the other students, teachers and parents back to school.

The bus from the field trip is being inspected and repaired by district mechanics, Muntz said.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.