Carbon Monoxide sends 5 to the hospital

Sep 11, 2019

The following is a news release from the Mukilteo Fire Department. We will update this when new information comes out:

 

 

Mukilteo, WA September 11, 2019:  A Mukilteo Fire Department medic unit was dispatched at 3:59  a.m. this morning to a reported medical emergency in the 11100 block of Chennault Beach Road.

Upon arrival, crews found one patient with difficulty breathing.  Within 15 minutes a second medic unit as requested for a second patient.  Command then requested assistance as the fire crew was becoming symptomatic.  Air monitoring quickly identified the cause of the symptoms as carbon monoxide (CO), a colorless, odorless, tasteless gas. Two patients were transported to the hospital.  Three fire fighters were treated and released from the Emergency Department for their exposure.

CO is a product of combustion. Common sources of CO are furnaces, water heaters, generators, grills, and cars.  Blocked vents and flues can cause the CO to build up to dangerous levels.  Signs and symptoms may include a dull headache, weakness, dizziness, nausea or vomiting, shortness of breath, confusion, blurred vision, and loss of consciousness.

The Mukilteo Fire Department encourages everyone to have a CO detector in their home.  Businesses and other places where people gather are encouraged to have a CO detector in enclosed spaces with furnaces and water heaters.

 

Units responding:

 

Mukilteo Fire –Medic 25, Medic 24, Battalion 25

Mukilteo Police

Everett Fire – Engine 6

South County Fire – Engine 23, Medic 10

Puget Sound Energy

 

Time of Call – 03:59, Arrival Time – 04:05, Clear Time – 07:21.

 

 

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.