Cat survives house fire; other pets perish

By Nicholas Johnson | Aug 09, 2017

Mukilteo residents saved a cat from a house fire Monday, Aug. 7, but a snake and a chameleon were not so lucky as they perished in the fire.

The Mukilteo Fire Department, along with units from Snohomish County Fire District 1 and the Everett Fire Department, responded to a reported house fire at 12:34 p.m. in the 5500 block of 104th Street Southwest to find residents outside the home as smoke poured out the front door.

Prior to the fire department’s arrival, a resident and an animal control officer went inside to rescue the resident’s cat, which was treated with oxygen in the back of a paramedic unit. The animal control officer then took the cat to PAWS for examination by a veterinarian. The cat was stable and was monitored overnight.

Firefighters entered the house and extinguished the fire. The fire was contained to the kitchen area with smoke and heat damage throughout the house.

“The fire started while charging lithium batteries from a roof top solar panel, which had wires running down through the kitchen window where the batteries on the counter were charging,” Assistant Fire Chief Brian McMahan said.

The fire was accidental in nature and the estimated loss of contents and structure was estimated at $175,000, according to the Snohomish County Fire Marshal’s office.

Twenty-five fire personnel responded to this incident.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.