Coast Guard, local agencies rescue two wind surfers north of Everett

Nov 22, 2017
Courtesy of: United States Coast Guard Coast Guard crews going to aid missing wind surfers on Sunday, Nov. 19. Photo courtesy of the United States Coast Guard.

Coast Guard air and boat crews, as well as a Snohomish County Marine Unit and a Tulalip Fire Department boat crew, rescued two male wind surfers after they went missing near Kayak Point, north of Everett, Washington, Sunday, Nov. 19.

The first surfer was located and hoisted by an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station and the second surfer was pulled from the water by the fire department boat crew.

Both surfers were reported in good condition and required no medical assistance.

Of the four wind surfers, the two who made it to shore contacted Coast Guard Sector Puget Sound around 2 p.m. to report they had lost sight of the other wind surfers approximately an hour prior to their call.

An urgent marine information broadcast was issued while the helicopter crew, a 45-foot response boat crew from Coast Guard Station Seattle and a Snohomish County marine unit launched in response.

The helicopter crew located the first surfer and lowered their rescue swimmer, who safely hoisted the surfer onto the helicopter, then proceeded to search for the second surfer.

The aircrew located the second surfer clinging to a wind board and directed the fire department boat crew to the surfer's location.

The helicopter then safely transported the first surfer to Paine Field, while the station crew escorted the fire department boat crew as they transported the second surfer to emergency medical service personnel waiting at Kayak Point, but no medical assistance was required.

One of the survivors reported that the heavy winds would not allow him to get back to shore and he became exhausted and unable to lift the sails.

There had been a gale warning in affect for the Puget Sound and Hood Canal area as of 9 a.m.

Weather conditions on scene were reported as very rough with three to four-foot seas and up to 45-mph winds.

Comments (1)
Posted by: Joe Kunzler | Nov 23, 2017 11:47

Wow, very grateful the Coast Guard was out there!  Not so much the wind surfers!

If you wish to comment, please login.