Kamiak overcomes early deficit to beat Mariner | Boys soccer

Knights snap 4-game slide on Kim’s late goal
By David Pan | Apr 27, 2017
Photo by: David Pan Kamiak’s Manuel Segura tracks the ball, as it flies past Mariner’s Efren Martinez, during a Wesco 4A game Tuesday, April 18, at Kamiak High School.

Kamiak had the worst possible start against district rival Mariner.

Three minutes into the game, Roman Voloshchuk scored to give the Marauders a 1-0 lead.

The Knights had fallen behind early in their three previous contests, which they ended up losing.

But this time Kamiak stuck to its game plan, eventually tying the score later in the first half and senior captain Jason Kim scored off an indirect kick with four minutes remaining to lift the Knights to a 2-1 victory in a Wesco 4A boys soccer game Tuesday, April 18, at Kamiak High School.

Mariner was called for a high kick infraction inside the box, which resulted in an indirect kick for the Knights. In an indirect kick, the ball has to touch another player before it goes in the goal.

Sophomore Manuel Segura passed the ball to Kim, who booted it through the net for the victory.

“We have not worked on an indirect kick inside the box,” Kamiak coach Kosta Pitharoulis said. “Manny Segura is the one who laid it off and Jason was able to put it home, just kind of underneath. The ball got through there. It was a great shot.”

Kim said that this is the first time in his four years with the team that the Knights (6-3-1 in the league, 8-3-1 overall) have swept the season series with Mariner.

Coming into last week’s game, Kim admitted the Knights weren’t feeling overly confident after a string of three straight losses and a tie.

It didn’t help matters to give up an early goal.

“The last few days we’ve been talking about that during our little hiccup,” Pitharoulis said. “We’ve been going down early and so we tried to make some adjustments in the back to alleviate that and then to go down 1-0 after making those adjustments kind of stung a little bit.”

The Knights didn’t get rattled and continued to press against Mariner (7-3, 9-3).

Pitharoulis noted that the flip side of giving up a goal so early in the game is that the Knights realized that they still had almost the entire game left to rebound.

Kamiak’s Harrison Rohrbough scored off an assist by Andre’ Hamilton in the 28th minute to tie the score.

“Andre’ had a fortunate little touch off to his side,” Pitharoulis said. “Harrison was where he was supposed to be. He and Andre’ are supposed to work together and stay connected. … It worked out.”

The Marauders came out firing early in the second half, but the Kamiak defense and senior goalkeeper Jesus Guy fended off the attack.

After a shaky start to the game, Guy settled down and made several saves to preserve the tie and eventually the victory.

“He came up huge,” Pitharoulis said. “He had some great saves, especially at the end that obviously made the difference.”

Mariner coach Vince DeSimone said the Knights were the better team.

“They were very opportunistic,” he said. “They got their chances. They put it in the net.”

Mariner regrouped after the loss and beat Mount Vernon 1-0 on Friday, April 21 at Goddard Stadium. Junior Luis Zuniga-Bedolla scored the goal.

Kamiak followed up with a 1-0 victory over Jackson on Friday, April 21, at Everett Memorial Stadium. Freshman Kaydin Wall had the lone goal from an assist by sophomore Zach Stancik.

The much-victory over Mariner lifted the Knights’ spirits and was more of a reminder to the players of what they are capable of, Pitharoulis said.

“It’s more of just righting the ship,” he said. “Obviously, we know how to win. We just maybe forgot our way a little bit.”

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.