Second suspect convicted of teen’s murder

By Sara Bruestle | Oct 05, 2016

A man has been found guilty of killing a Mariner High School sophomore.

Anthony Boro, 16, was shot to death last year at an apartment complex near Lynnwood.

A jury convicted Charles Courtney of first-degree murder on Sept. 26 after a 16-day trial. He faces up to a lifetime behind bars.

Jurors also found him guilty of possession of a controlled substance with the intent to sell in the second degree.

Snohomish County Deputy Prosecuting Attorney Jarett Goodkin hasn’t shared yet how long of a prison term he’ll ask for at the Nov. 16 sentencing.

A second man, Jesse Ray Landrum, was convicted of second-degree murder in August and was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

Boro was shot to death around 1 a.m. in the Atria apartment complex in the 16500 block of Larch Way on Oct. 6. It is unclear why he had been there.

The Snohomish County Medical Examiner determined that Boro died from a gunshot to the back. His death was ruled a homicide.

Landrum, 20, and Courtney, 25, residents of the apartment complex, were arrested for investigation of murder not long after Boro died. They were booked into the Snohomish County Jail.

Prosecutors say Boro’s death was likely a case of mistaken identity. It was determined that neither of the men knew the teen.

According to court papers, Courtney and Landrum on Oct. 6 had been searching for a man named “Mikey” who was allegedly out to get them. They told police that Mikey was with a group of men wearing hoods and carrying baseball bats.

Courtney reportedly looked through his peephole shortly before 1 a.m. and saw a stranger wearing a hoodie standing outside his door. He yelled to Landrum and opened the door.

He told police that he startled Boro, who ran when Courtney opened the door. The two men chased after the teen.

Prosecutors say Courtney pulled a gun from his waistband and shot the teen in the back as he was running out of the complex. Boro fell to the ground.

Courtney reportedly bragged to police that he served two tours in Iraq and was a good shot.

After Boro fell, Landrum approached him. Landrum told police that he kicked Boro in the ribs at least three times. He watched the teen die.

“He stated that he had been waiting for a fight with ‘Mikey’ and his friends prior to the shooting,” court papers said. “He wanted to find ‘Mikey’ because he wanted to ‘hurt ‘em.’”

Prosecutors say the two men then left the apartment complex so that Courtney could buy heroin for the purpose of selling it.

When Courtney was arrested, he had several baggies of heroin in his jacket pockets. He also had a handgun in his waistband and bullets in his pants pocket. His cellphone also showed numerous texts related to selling drugs.

After the shooting, “Courtney told others at the apartment that he had unconfirmed kills while in the military, and he may have just gotten his first confirmed kill,” court papers said.

A candlelight vigil is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 6, at Mukilteo Lighthouse Park to honor Boro on the anniversary of his death.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.