Standoff that shut down neighborhood for hours ends peacefully

By Nicholas Johnson | Mar 29, 2017

A standoff in the Harbour Pointe area shut down a neighborhood for several hours Monday, March 20.

Mukilteo police responded at 2:48 p.m. to a report of a 37-year-old Kirkland woman who appeared disoriented while walking around the 11700 block of Hartford Way, according to court documents.

When police arrived, the woman was seen standing in the doorway of a residence. She disappeared inside when officers approached.

Police contacted the homeowner at the residence, who told them the woman is a family friend who is living with Bipolar Disorder and hasn’t been keeping up with her medication.

He told police he had driven to Oregon to pick up the woman, who had been in jail, and bring her to Mukilteo for a court date for a misdemeanor assault charge in Kirkland.

An officer standing in the front doorway could see the woman through an upstairs window shining a flashlight at him. When he asked her to stop, she allegedly produced “an older, almost antique gun” and aimed it at the officer, which is considered assault under state law.

The officer dove for cover and fellow officers cleared the residence. The homeowner confirmed there were multiple firearms in the house. By then, the woman had apparently barricaded herself in the upstairs room.

Officers from neighboring jurisdictions, along with a SWAT team, arrived on scene and began a dialogue with the woman.

At 4:14 p.m., the woman dropped “a black, Old West-type revolver” from the window. An officer later noticed the woman appeared to be carrying a bag, but the woman claimed it was a bomb.

The woman dropped several more Old West-style revolvers from the window before the SWAT team forced her out of the residence using less lethal force at 5:48 p.m. Police cleared the scene by 6:45 p.m.

The woman was taken to Providence Hospital before she was booked into the Snohomish County Jail on suspicion of first-degree assault against an officer.

“The quick thinking and restraint of the responding officers were lifesaving,” Police Chief Cheol Kang said. “I appreciate the skillful efforts of our law enforcement partners which resulted in a safe resolution to this incident.”

The woman remains in custody on $50,000 bond. She has been charged in district court, with a deadline of April 7 for prosecutors to file charges in superior court.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.