Woman injured, dogs killed in duplex fire

Affected families in need of place to live after Mariner-area fire
By Nicholas Johnson | Jul 05, 2017
Courtesy of: Snohomish County Fire District 1 Firefighters work to put out a residential structure fire at the Center Woods apartment complex in the 700 block of Center Road on Friday, June 30.

One woman was injured and two dogs died in a fire at a duplex in the Mariner neighborhood south of Everett on Friday afternoon, June 30.

The fire was reported at 4:10 p.m. in a two-story, two-unit building at the Center Woods apartment complex in the 700 block of Center Road.

One half of the building was engulfed in flames when the first firefighters arrived from Mariner Fire Station 11 less than a mile away, said Leslie Hynes, public information officer for Snohomish County Fire District 1.

The injured woman was transported by firefighters to Swedish Mill Creek Emergency Room. Her injuries were not life-threatening. Firefighters also treated two boys at the fire scene. The woman and the boys lived in one of the units involved in the fire.

The fire filled the Mariner neighborhood with light gray smoke. Firefighters from Fire Districts 1 and 7, Everett and Lynnwood responded. They had the fire under control in about 20 minutes, but remained on the scene for several hours dealing with hot spots.

“The two apartment units are side-by-side in the building,” Hynes said. “The apartment where the fire started was heavily damaged, but firefighters were able to stop the flames before they could do much damage to the other unit. Most of the damage in that unit is from smoke and water.”

Residents of both units will need to find another place to live as the fire left the building uninhabitable. Red Cross and Support 7 are providing assistance to seven residents, including four children – a family of four from the unit where the fire started and a family of three from the neighboring unit. Neither family has insurance.

An investigator from the Snohomish County Fire Marshal's Office has determined the fire was started when an electric heating element on the stovetop was inadvertently switched on and ignited nearby cardboard boxes, causing an estimated $175,000 in damage.

Comments (0)
If you wish to comment, please login.